Summer Skincare 102
Welcome back to The Skincare Blog, where we dive into all things skincare and embrace the beauty of all skin! As the days grow longer and the sun shines brighter, it's time to shift your skincare regimen to accommodate the summer weather. Warmer months bring us plenty of joy, but they also bring their own set of challenges for our skin. From the scorching sun and increased humidity to outdoor activities and vacation getaways, our skin requires some extra TLC to stay healthy, hydrated, and protected. In this blog, we will explore the best practices, tips, and product recommendations to help you achieve a glowing and radiant complexion all summer long.
The first, and most important, product in your skincare regimen is your face wash. Washing your face not only sets the tone for the rest of your skincare regimen, it removes excess dirt, oil, and grime that build up during the day. Because increased sweating and sebum production during the summer causes your skin to become “stickier” (and thus more prone to build up) you might want to consider double cleansing. Double cleansing is when you use a cleansing balm or a cleansing oil to pre-cleanse your skin prior to using your face wash. It’s great for breaking down dirt, grime, make up, and SPF from the day without stripping your skin of its essential oils.
Whether you choose to double cleanse or not, you definitely want to make sure you’re selecting the correct face wash for your skin. If you’ve noticed your skin is starting to break out, it may be time to consider adding an acne fighting cleanser to your routine. This can mean choosing something with active ingredients (if you’re generally acne prone) or something that contains ingredients with anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties- like honey- (if you’re seasonally acne-prone or only break out every once in a blue) to help manage breakouts and excessively oily skin.
There are many great ways to help balance your skin during summer months. Some of the products you may want to consider adding to your summer skincare regimen include:
- Toner- offer a multitude of benefits in skincare, including balancing the skin's pH levels, tightening pores, and clearing the skin of dead cells. Look for active ingredients like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, and glycolic acid.
- Essence- if you’re someone who deals with dry skin, extended time the summer sun or artificial cooling sources (AC) may increase irritation. Essences help add an extra hydrating layer of moisture and balance skin. Look for ingredients like chamomile, rose water, aloe water, or cucumber.
- Spot treatment- for anyone who experiences frequent or occasional acne, it might be beneficial to invest in an astringent spot treatment. Spot treatments are applied directly to blemishes to gently dry them out without irritating surrounding skin.
Regardless of which products you choose to enhance your skincare regimen during the summer months, be sure to do your research about how they could possibly increase your skin's sensitivity to sun so you know how to protect your skin.
Summer calls for lighter, water-based moisturizers that provide ample hydration without feeling heavy on the skin. Look for oil-free or gel-based formulas that absorb quickly and won't clog your pores. Hyaluronic acid-infused moisturizers are excellent choices as they attract and retain moisture, keeping your skin plump and hydrated throughout the day without encouraging excess sebum production.
One of the most critical steps in your summer skincare routine is sunscreen application. The sun's harmful UV rays can cause sunburn, premature aging, and even skin cancer. Opt for a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher and apply it generously to all exposed areas of your body. Remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or excessive sweating.
What I love most about skincare is that there are always opportunities to add a little flair. Here are some other steps you could add to your skincare regimen to enhance your results this summer:
- Exfoliate- Regular exfoliation is crucial for removing dead skin cells and unclogging pores, allowing your skin to breathe and absorb products more effectively. Exfoliants help refine the skin's texture and promote a brighter complexion. Opt for gentle exfoliators like our Rice Milk Micro-Exfoliant (great for anyone who likes to use a physical exfoliant) or our Papaya Bright Superfood Exfoliating Face Mask which are perfect for any time of year, but especially during the summer when skin is more sensitive.
- Hydrate and Protect- Serums are a powerful way to receive higher concentrations of active ingredients and their benefits. Vitamin C is a powerhouse ingredient in skincare, known for its ability to brighten the complexion, even out skin tone, stimulate collagen production, and protect against environmental damage, leaving you with a radiant and youthful-looking skin. Our Brightening-C Serum is a luxe 10% vitamin C serum that will protect and hydrate your skin this summer with antioxidant power.
- Mask up- During the summer, you make find your skin is in need of a little boost. Face masks offer a range of benefits, from deep cleansing and exfoliation to hydration and nourishment, helping to unclog pores, improve skin texture, promote a healthy glow, and provide a relaxing self-care experience. If you have oily skin, you may benefit from the inclusion of a mud mask. Our Dead Sea Mud Mask is made of 100% silt from the Jordanian Dead Sea. Mud is known to help absorb excess oil and clarify the skin. If you’re just looking for a good detox, consider our Clean Greens Superfood Face Mask. The Clean Greens Mask is basically a green smoothie for your skin. Packed with 100% edible superfoods and algae, this mask hydrates, revitalizes and tones the skin while helping to reduce acne and wrinkles.
We hope you feel equipped with the knowledge and tools to embrace the summer season with confidence. Remember, summer skincare is all about protection, hydration, and adapting to the unique challenges of the sun and heat. So, slather on that sunscreen, indulge in refreshing face masks, and incorporate vitamin C-rich products into your routine for a radiant and healthy summer glow. Don't forget to drink plenty of water, eat nourishing foods (click here for a helpful guide on building a healthy skin diet), and prioritize self-care to keep your skin and overall well-being in check. Cheers to a season of beautiful skin and endless summer adventures!
Enjoyed this blog? Let me know in the comments which skincare topics you'd like me to explore next!